Eric Brousaides is a member of Carney, Kelehan, Bresler, Bennett & Scherr's education law practice group where he focuses on general public school law and special education law. Mr. Brousaides has provided representation to Maryland school systems for more than 25 years in a wide variety of school law matters such as employee discipline and termination, policy and regulation development, student rights and discipline, First Amendment issues, employment discrimination, collective bargaining, Open Meetings Act compliance, FOIA/PIA requests, employee ethics issues, the rights of homeless students and Equal Access Act compliance, to name just a few.
Mr. Brousaides also provides representation and counsel in all aspects of the special education process under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. On behalf of the school systems he represents, Mr. Brousaides attends IEP meetings and assists schools in adhering to procedural and substantive requirements of federal and state law. He counsels school systems through the dispute resolution process, mediation, and has successfully represented his clients in numerous due process hearings and judicial appeals at the trial and appellate court levels. Additionally, Mr. Brousaides defends school systems in complaints filed with the U.S. Office for Civil Rights regarding allegations of discrimination and retaliation against students with disabilities.
Mr. Brousaides has extensive experience representing public school systems in employment discrimination disputes filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights. These disputes concern allegations of discrimination and retaliation under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (race, color, religion, sex and national origin), the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
Mr. Brousaides was a contributing author to “Acquired Brain Injury in Childhood and Adolescents” (Goldberg, 1996) and has given numerous presentations on a variety of special education and school law issues.
- Howard County Educ. Ass'n v. Bd. of Educ. Howard County, 220 Md.App. 282 (2014)
- Dyer v. Board of Education of Howard County, 216 Md.App. 530 (2014)
- Foster v. Howard Community College, (D. Md. 2014)
- Marin v. Howard Community College, (D. Md. 2014)
- Greene v. Board of Educ. of Montgomery County, (D. Md. 2009)
- Baker v. Board of Education of Kent County, (D. Md. 2009)
- Brunner v. Montgomery County Public Schools, 2008 WL 2596207 (4th Cir. 2008)
- Venter v. Board of Education of Howard County, 195 Md.App. 648 (2006)
- Z.W. v. Smith, 2006 WL 3797975, 217 Ed. Law Rep. 816 (4th Cir. 2006)
- Child Evangelism Fellowship of Md., Inc. v. Montgomery County Public Schools, 457 F.3d 376 (4th Cir. 2006)
- Baltimore City Bd. of Sch. Commissioners v. Taylorch, 395 F.Supp.2d 246 (D. Md. 2005)
- A.B. v. Lawson, 354 F.3d 315 (4th Cir. 2004)
- Child Evangelism Fellowship of Md., Inc. v. Montgomery County Public Schools, 373 F.3d 589 (4th Cir. 2004)
- DiBuo v. Bd. of Educ. of Worcester County, 309 F.3d 184 (4th Cir. 2002)
- Hanson v. Smith, 212 F.Supp.2d 474 (D. Md. 2002)
- Pollowitz v. Weast, 90 Fed. Appx. 438 (4th Cir. 2001)
- Aiello v. Grasmick, 155 F.3d 557 (4th Cir. 1998)